Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy
January 14, 2014 Leave a comment
EDUCAUSE Review on Data Management Policy
This article represents a call for action to address the high-level benefits of adopting a university-wide policy regarding research data management. An institution should identify all the stakeholders, bring them together to discuss their interests, create policy, and actively determine how it will manage the university’s data assets.
Suggested elements of the conversation include:
- Who owns the data?
- What Requirements are Imposed By Others?
- Which Data Should Be Retained?
- For How Long Should Data Be Maintained?
- How Should Digital Data Be Preserved?
- Are there Ethical Considerations?
- How are Data Accessed?
- How Open Should the Data Be?
- How Will Costs Be Managed?
- What are the Alternatives to Local Data Management?
Educause Review Nov/Dec 2013
A full report can be downloaded from the OCLC website.